I wanted the theme of her nursery to flow with the rest of our house while still being a cute and cozy room for her. Cozy is the word I’ve used to describe her nursery the most actually. 🙂
While putting her nursery together, I also wanted to keep most things gender neutral in case our future child or children are boys. Most of our nursery items are gender neutral, with a few small details hinting more “girly”. Overall, I LOVE how it turned out and it makes me so happy every time I go into her room; I hope she feels the same 🙂
Alright, before I get into the details of everything, I need to give a huge shout out to one of my best friends, Paige. We were roommates in college and have stayed super close ever since. She is so talented when it comes to anything and everything interior design, and basically helped me bring this entire room to life. It was also so much fun to do this with a friend 🙂 If you need help with anything interior design, check her out on Instagram @designpaige.
Let’s start with the walls. I knew I wanted some type of accent wall in her room and decided on shiplap. I chose this because it’s pretty timeless and gender neutral! We hired someone to do it for us because if Tommy and I attempted this via Youtube, we may have ended up in an argument haha. He did a great job and it took him about a day! The vinyl pieced shiplap material is available at Menards.
As far as the room color goes, this ended up being the hardest decision for me. Who knew there could be so many different shades of white?!?! I sure didn’t, at least not until I started looking for one! We decided to color match the shiplap wall to the crown molding. We contacted our builder, who was able to work with us and someone at Sherwin Williams to color match the molding, and it looks great! For the rest of the walls, we had quite a tough time. We ended up painting all of the walls one shade of white and it felt WAY too bright, kind of like being in a hospital room. So, we changed directions and decided to go a bit more gray.
The final color is named Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams, and we love it! Our ceilings are painted Alabaster, again by Sherwin Williams and the two look great together. I’m really happy with the paint choices. I think it still flows with the rest of the house without being too much of a contrast.
Onto the window treatments. This was another thing I know we could’ve done ourselves but also seemed like way too much work lol. We ended up using a company in Waukesha called Bazaar Homes to install our blinds, and then we did the curtains ourselves. A little tip, if you’re putting together a nursery or any room, order window treatments ASAP. We ordered ours June 8th and they weren’t delivered and installed until September 17th. I knew I wanted some type of bamboo shades because I’ve always loved the look of them.
I chose Hunter Douglas, because we have them all around our house and have been happy with them. The bamboo shades I picked are Hunter Douglas – West Palm, Semi Sheer, Boardwalk WWWP 406. I added a blackout liner behind the bamboo shades on the smaller window since we won’t have curtains over that one. We then added a little darker liner behind the shades on the bigger window just to make them less sheer. They look so great and I’m really happy with how they turned out.
The curtains are black outs from Kohls, linked here. We went with the 50×108 size. I wanted them to start at the ceiling because I think it makes the room appear larger. The curtain rod is from Target and I am obsessed with it, linked here. I loved pulling a little black into the room to match the chandelier and the picture frames.
Speaking of the chandelier, let’s move onto that. We originally had a light/fan combo in the room and I could’ve kept it but what’s the fun in that?! I do know that fans can help reduce the risk of SIDS, so I purchased a stand up fan to have in her room, linked here. Tommy’s dad has experience switching out lights, so he kindly did this for us. Shout out to my Father-in-Law! The chandelier is from Amazon, and I was a bit hesitant to get it but I actually LOVE it, linked here. A negative about this light is that you can’t cut the wire to make it shorter. We ended up having to somewhat rig it and wrap the extra wire around the inside. Not that big of a deal, because you can’t even tell unless I point it out. Other than that, we love the light!
Now for the bigger pieces of furniture/items in the room. We ran into a TON of manufacturing/shipping delays, as I’m sure most of you are well aware. I ended up canceling my entire Pottery Barn order and getting all new furniture. I’m honestly not mad about it because I love how everything turned out. I’ll link all of the big furniture pieces below for you guys!
- Crib Love that this one is Greengaurd Gold Certified!
- Dresser The one I’ve linked isn’t exactly ours, but it’s very similar. We ended up finding our dresser/changing table at the Restoration Hardware Outlet in downtown Milwaukee, but I think it’s discontinued. We were very lucky because it’s exactly what I was looking for, and in perfect condition. (Not to mention we got it for 1/4 of the price!) Highly recommend this outlet; they had quite a bit of baby items.
- Rug I got the 4.9′ x 6.5′ and think the size is perfect. It’s one of the softest rugs I’ve ever felt!
- Olive Tree This isn’t a cheap tree but because I feel it’s such a statement piece, I was willing to spend money on it. If you’re looking for something similar but more affordable, Target has one, linked here. As far as the pot for the tree, this was the biggest pain in my butt ever lol. Paige and I saw it in person in Crate & Barrel and fell in love, but decided to wait for it to go on sale. Because it’s an outdoor pot, we thought it would at summer’s end. Well we were right, but waited too long and it was entirely sold out online. Paige ended up finding the last one in a store at a mall and grabbed it. Unfortunately I can’t link it because it’s discontinued, but keep your eye out in case they bring it back next year! We LOVE it because it has the tiniest little hint of peach in it. This is the hanging version of it, linked here.
- Lamp One of my favorite things about this lamp is that it has a dimmer switch on it! It can be a very minimal light or more bright.
That sums it up for most of the bigger pieces of furniture in the room.. now let me quickly cover the smaller items and decorations!
- Wooden Play Gym. I got the natural pine gym.
- Wooly Mammoth Rocker. This was a gift from one of my close friends and I think it’s the cutest!
- Pillows, linked here and here. These are just for looks and won’t be staying here ;).
- Stuffed Animal Elephant
- Stuffed Animal Bunny
- Lamb rattle. This was a gift so I’m not sure where it’s from, but here is a similar one.
- Pacifier and Pacifier Clip
- Crib Mattress. We went with Newton Baby and I’m so happy about it. I think this was the most recommended baby item by all moms I follow and know!
- Crib Sheets. I’m sad the ones I chose are already sold out but these are similar too!
- Swaddle Blanket
- Wooden Stool
- Picture Frames. The pictures were drawn by my brother so I’m unable to link those but they are my favorite additions to the nursery.
- Baby Monitor and Mount.
- Baby Uggs
- Bassinet and stand This was also a gift from a friend and I really love it because it’s so easy to move around so we can carry it into any room with us!
- Floating Book Shelves I love how these turned out! We got the 12 inch, 18 inch, and 24 inch!
For the changing table/dresser I wanted to keep it simple yet functional and I think we accomplished just that! One thing I really like about this dresser is that the changing table topper can be removed. I think that is the case with most of them. However, when she gets older we can easily take it off and just use the dresser! Now for each particular item..
- JuJu feather decor Finding a piece of decor to hang over the changing table was a nightmare. We originally had a really cool gold mirror but then quickly realized that it wasn’t the safest. I later found this little JuJu feather piece and fell in love. I got the 28 inch.
- Changing pad This was HIGHLY recommended by multiple friends, family members, and you guys! It’s nice because unlike cloth ones, if any poop or pee gets on it, you can just wipe it off. It’s kind of a rubber material!
- Diaper Pail Another very commonly recommended item. I will report back if I like it 🙂
On top of the changing table we have a few items that I wanted to chat about. First of all, you don’t see any diapers because I decided to store them in the top drawer. The changing pad takes up quite a bit of room and I didn’t have much storage on top for diapers. Let me share the few items I do have on top.
- Baby Wipe Dispenser We purchased this when we got Winston because we used baby wipes to wipe his paws before he came in the house. That stopped after about four months lol. This dispenser is really nice though because it has a weight to put on top so you can pull each wipe out super easily.
- Tubby Todd items. I have heard nothing but amazing things about this company so I stocked up on some of their most popular items. All Over Ointment, Diaper Paste, and Everyday Lotion.
- Nightlight. I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite items. It’s a portable night light that you touch to turn on and brighten/dim.
- Hand Sanitizer. Definitely necessary after changing smelly diapers 🙂
Whew, are you still here?! Haha sorry that got so long, I just wanted to make sure I linked EVERYTHING in the room. We all know I probably won’t have much time once baby is here to be sending out links, so this way everything is easily accessible. The only item not in the nursery is our rocking chair. We have it in our bedroom knowing that she will be sleeping with us for the first few months. After we move her into her room, we will probably move the rocking chair in there as well, or possibly the living room. We went with the Babyletto Kiwi Glider and I love it!
I hope our little girl feels safe, happy, and loved in this little room. Every time I walk past it, I smile. I can’t wait to make so many memories with her in here. Whenever she decides to make an appearance into this world, we’re ready for her! May God bless this room and our little girl.
Peace & Love,